Spring is around the corner!
Grade 4 March 2017 Newsletter
We hope that this newsletter finds you well. It is hard to believe that yet another month has passed by and that term two is almost over. February was an active month for all the students as we prepared for the FSA testing, practised our Choric Speeches for the Speech Arts Festival, crunched numbers, used our problem solving skills and learned about the Inuit culture.
We have been learning about the First Nations Peoples of Canada. Both classes have worked on projects and models and learned many interesting facts.
The students also learned how to read informational texts in order to elicit specific information. Students are now able to differentiate between fiction and non-fiction books. They have been encouraged to read legends and stories that the First Nation Peoples are known for.
The season of Lent is underway. It is a time of preparation for the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. We will be discussing the importance of Lent as a time for prayer, reflection and renewal of our baptismal vows and sacrifice. The students are encouraged to pray the Stations of the Cross and pray for themselves, their families and others in the world.
Upcoming dates to add to your calendars:
- March 9 Second Term Reports
- March 10 Student-led Conferences/ Last Day before Spring Break
- March 27 School Reopens
- April 13 Holy Thursday-noon dismissal
- April 14 Good Friday-School Holiday
- April 17 Easter Monday-School Holiday
Here are a few suggestions about what to do during the spring break:
- go to your local library and spend some time reading your favourite books
- go for a walk and look for animal habitats at Stanley Park
- visit Science World and look at their exhibitions
- visit the Vancouver Art Gallery and enjoy the Emily Carr exhibits
- have a picnic at your local park (depending on the weather)
- play a sport outside (run, skip, bike, play basketball or soccer)
Please remember to continue signing agendas.
Ms. S. Chong and Ms. S. LeRose