Dear parents of primary students (kindergarten to grade 3),
First of all, I would like to thank all the administrators and teachers who are dedicated to the profession of teaching by continuing to educate your children, help them grow in their journey of faith and to develop their full potential amidst our current pandemic. You probably heard the expression, “it takes a village to raise a child,” well, I believe “it takes a Catholic community to raise good children”.
I would like to stress the importance of our French program. I believe that French plays an important role in a student’s Canadian identity. Our country is recognized as a bilingual nation, where English and French are our official languages. Moreover, French is beneficial for your child because they learn various ways of communicating thoughts and ideas, as well as, building friendships. Perhaps in the distant future, they will be able to build economic relationships and cultural bonds. Most importantly, I hope that your children will continue on learning this language for the purposes of extending God’s instrument of love.
Now is a good opportunity to interact with your children in their education and growth. As best as I can, I will provide online instructions and materials in the following weeks.
In the meantime, please review the following vocabulary words / phrases with your children:
- Bonjour! – Hello
- Comment t’appelles-tu? – What is your name?
- Je m’appelle – My name is
- Comment ca va? – How are you?
- Ca va bien – I am well
- Ca va mal – I do not feel well
Here are some French Folk songs I want the students to learn and sing along. Please note: The following are various links to Youtube that your family can listen to together.
- Beginner French For Greeting People Sing-Along Song | BASHO & FRIENDS 4k Learning | Bonjour – Hello https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkff4xjkWjE
- Beginner French What Is Your Name? Sing-Along Song | BASHO & FRIENDS | Comment Tu T’appelles? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbQIDw05A8M
- Learn The French Alphabet Sing-Along Song | BASHO & FRIENDS 4k Learning | Ohhh, A, b, chttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=golDmUTCx_A
- Learn French Numbers 1-10 Sing-Along Song | BASHO & FRIENDS 4k Learning | Les Chiffres https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCU9k7bMqCk
- Alouette, gentille alouette – alain le lait (French body parts – for birds) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_hFw_cWg9U
If you are having difficulty pronouncing the above phrases, feel free to use Google Translate as described using the following directions below:
- Open the Google Translate website.
- Copy the full URL of the website you want to translate.
- Paste the URL into the left field of Google Translate.
- Select the website’s language from the buttons at the top.
- Select the language you want the page translated into.
- Select the volume icon
Thank you all for your help. Be safe and well.
Please Note: A separate notice will be posted on the blog for Intermediate parents and students in the foreseeable future. A more detailed French plan will be forthcoming.
Bon Chance tout le monde! A tout a l’heure. Good luck everyone! See you next time!
Mr. Rosendo Balintona – French Teacher