Well it is almost here! One more week until our production of Little Mermaid Jr! Students have been working so hard in all grades to learn songs and lines and helping decorate the gym.
In library we have learned about Hans Christian Anderson who wrote the original version of the Little Mermaid from which the Disney story is based. We have also read “Rainbow Fish” by Marcus Pfister and ” Mister Seahorse” by Eric Carle. Both are great stories with beautiful illustrations that inspired our pastel sea creature decorations for the gym.
Students have also read ” The Lorax” by Dr. Seuss, which we can compare to the movie version. It is a great book to read in the spring because it reminds us to take care of creation and all our natural resources.
Other authors with birthdays we have celebrated last month and this month.
Hans Christian Anderson
Great nonfiction topics to learn about this spring:
- bugs, ladybugs- which creatures help gardens and which are harmful to plants
- bees and butterflies
- forest, rainforest ecosystems
- water conservation
- plants, flowers, trees
- life cycles of frogs, salmon, butterflies, chickens
- baby animals and farm animals
For older students: Things in the News!
- Keep up to date on the Syrian Refugee crisis. How are the refugees that have come to Vancouver doing?
- Did you know Pope Francis brought several refugee families to Rome and the Vatican is going to help them settle in Rome ?
- First nations- communities in crisis. Many first nations communities lack clean water and services for health and education. What can we do to help?
- Pipelines- should they be built or not?
Happy reading and learning!!