We are into our second week of Spelling. This week, there are two different word lists; you may notice your child’s words differ from those of their peers.
Some gentle reminders:
- Cut-up Spelling Words and Spelling Sentences are due by Thursday. It is very important that your child comes to school with their homework completed, as we have Spelling first thing on Thursday mornings.
- Students should take their yellow Spelling duotang home on Thursdays to study over the weekend. Feel free to use the cut-up spelling words as part of weekend study sessions.
- Students will be tested on Monday mornings.
- Tests from the previous list will be kept in the yellow Spelling duotang.
We are hoping to have three spelling groups up and running in the next two weeks (dependent on Ms. Piekut’s availability).
This is proving to be a busy week because we are beginning our spelling program today!
Our spelling program is based on Words Their Way. It integrates spelling, vocabulary and phonics in our word study program.
To start off, Ms. Munro and I decided to give all Grade Two students the same pattern to focus on this week – long vowels. Our goal is to have an easier sort of “practice round” so that students and parents can get adjusted to the new program. You may find your child will be able to spell the words quite easily this week!
Once we have a week or two of adjustment, we will divide the students into groups so they can focus on the specific spelling patterns they need to reinforce and practice.
Our weekly schedule can be viewed HERE. It will also be in the front page of the Spelling duotang, for your reference.
Today marks the start of our Reading Log Program. Reading for 20 minutes every day is the MAIN homework for Grade Two! Inside the Reading Log is an information sheet that explains the Program in detail, but here are some reminders:
- children should record the title/titles of the books they read each evening (if they are reading a chapter book, they can record the title and the chapters or pages read)
- the amount of time spent reading should also be recorded
- parents need to sign the Reading Log each evening
- Reading Logs must be returned every Monday (unless otherwise specified in the planner)
I am posting a downloadable copy of the September Newsletter (which you received on the first day of school) for your convenience.
Have a great weekend!
I am looking forward to seeing you again at Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. – tonight!
I trust that many of you are aware about changes to the B.C. Curriculum. Grade 2 classes will be working on implementing the new curriculum this year. The curriculum is still focused on literacy and mathematics, but will feature more opportunities for flexibility and deeper learning. Core Competencies are at the heart of the new curriculum. The competencies focus on developing skills for lifelong learning. There are 3 competencies: (1) communication (2) thinking (3) personal and social.
Click on the links if you are interested in learning more about the new curriculum.
Implementing the new curriculum is a huge undertaking. The entire staff of S.F.X. is working together to infuse these ideas into our planning, teaching and assessment. It is reassuring to know that many of the things we do at our school are in the new curriculum redesign!
Dear Parents (and Students),
It was wonderful to meet you all this morning!
I hope you can take some time over the next few evenings not only to complete your “homework”, but to look over the information packet/September Newsletter that I distributed to you earlier today.
I am looking forward to getting to know you as the year progresses.