To all the parents, families, and supporters of St. Francis Xavier Elementary,
As part of our Music Program many of you know that I have been teaching and doing DANCE with the students during this year as a way to teach music and yet have everyone be safe during this time of COVID. I have gone with a 2 tiered approach. One part is classroom work where the students learn about the “theory” of Dance. We discuss various Dance Elements and Dance Styles / Genres using Youtube videos and various handouts.
This is the 2nd part of the 2 tiered approach. The students and I have physically danced together, a more direct hands on approach. This is where these DANCE VIDEOS come into play. The following dance videos shows each grade (Grades 3 – 7) dancing to a complete routine to the song “Dynamite” by the K – Pop group BTS.
The Grades 5 – 7 classes dance choreography is a little bit more complicated than the Grades 3 & 4 classes. However, the choreography to the chorus of the song is pretty much taken from the music video by BTS (with a few minor changes for simplicity for the lower grades). The majority of the choreography: The Intro, Verse 1 and 2, and the Bridge / Ending were created by myself. However, the chorus was done through a Youtube video taught by 2 choreographers by the names of Ellen and Brian (no relation to our principal ).
At this time, I would like to thank a number of people for helping me make these videos come to reality.
- To Mr. Fader, our principal for supporting the Music program and the idea I had to do DANCE this year.
- To Mr. Sone Louangxay (Parent of Krista in 7M) and Mr. Lawrence Yu (Parent of Kaylee in 7M and Kyle in 5P) for helping with the recording and editing of all the videos. You gentlemen have an amazing gift and I wish you continued success in your endeavours.
- To the EAs who helped out with their charges in the various classrooms.
- To Ms. Olaivar for granting me access to the gymnasium.
- To God for helping me get through this (and for not making it rain helping me gain access to the gym).
- And finally to all the students who put in the effort and practice to learn the choreography and dancing well. You all should be proud of the work you did.
So I hope you all enjoy watching these videos. I look forward to the end of this year’s music program and to the beginning of next year’s program. Please continue to support the Music program and your child’s learning overall. Blessings to you all.
View videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6BZqH5YgcvYvitw7WLOrC68dYQF-0FyS
Mr. Edward Dela Luna – SFX Music / Dance Teacher